Agriculture in Surrey at the turn of the nineteenth century

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Katharine

Agriculture in Surrey at the turn of the nineteenth century

Post by Katharine »

Hello,

As part of a project for Egham Museum I am trying to build a picture of the changing nature of the landscape in this part of Surrey.

I'm aware this is a bit of a broad question, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea of the type of farming or land use that went on in Surrey, particularly north east Surrey, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century? Or perhaps you could point me in the direction of some sources of information? In particular, the types of activity, crops, breeds of animal that would have been seen, the way landownership was organised and how this impacted the life of the rural labourer.

Thanks in advance for any information, advice or pointers.

Katharine

Alan Wadsworth

Re: Agriculture in Surrey at the turn of the nineteenth century

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

Hi Katharine,

A good starting point would be the General View of the Agriculture of Surrey produced in 1794 - available to signed-up members on the BAHS Libral system

webweaver

Post by webweaver »

You are welcome to sign up to LIBRAL and read the General View of Surrey, which I would recommend, too. To sign up, go to https://www.bahs.org.uk/LIBRAL/LIBRALsignup.html

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

To add to Alan’s suggestion:

You also want to see the second General View of Surrey by Stevenson. Unfortunately we don’t have this on LIBRAL, nor do we have a copy to scan. Can anyone help by lending us one? Otherwise you may well find it on Google books or Archive.org.

I have two other suggestions. The first is William Cobbet’s Rural Rides which we have just added to LIBRAL. He criss-crossed the heathland in the north west of the county in the 1820s and has sharp comments to make about its unimproved state. Cobbet is worth an exhibition in his own right: just don’t take him at face value.

There is then Jane Roberts, Royal landscape. The gardens and parks of Windsor (1997) which has a wider range than its title suggests. You may have access to a copy of this. It is a scrumptious, beautiful book, so if you haven’t, beg, borrow or steal it. Or ask for it for your birthday.

Finally, Alan Crosby published an attractive essay in Agricultural History Review about the heathlands of Surrey, Berkshire etc (vol 66 pt2, 2018), and their use after enclosure. Recommended. If you ask Webweaver very nicely, a pdf may come your way.

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thank you very much for these replies. I have now signed up to Libral and got access to the General View of Surrey - fantastic.
Cobbett is already by my side as I have a literature background and so he sprung to mind, but I didn't know where to go for an account with less spin. Coincidentally I came across Jane Roberts book yesterday while googling about trying to find some background on one of the lodges near Virginia Water. It looked very useful but on Google Books you can't see all the pages. It is good to know that it is worth chasing up. I am hoping to find a copy I can borrow (failing that perhaps the birthday present route!). I have found and downloaded the Crosby article you mention rwhoyle, thank you. It also looks useful. All this is much appreciated. I have lots to get going with now.

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

Jane Roberts: see what you can find on www.bookfinder.com (which you might already have done).