Furrowing plough

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Jan 2019, 10:38

Furrowing plough

Post by edl39 »

Please see the attached picture.

This tool has been donated to Chedhams Yard in Wellesbourne and we are not sure what it is.

There are no identification marks on it.

It would appear to be a single handed furrowing plough but we are not sure or what crops it would have been used for.

The previous owner indicated that it could be about 100 years old.

From the design it would have to be dragged through the soil with the user walking backwards unless it was a two person operation. There are no hooks or holes for attaching it to a horse.

Can anyone provide a better explanation?
HandMoulder2.jpg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
HandMoulder1.jpg (147.81 KiB) Viewed 14780 times

Alan Wadsworth
Posts: 41
Joined: 26 Jun 2017, 11:04

Re: Furrowing plough

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

MERL has the following definition for a Banking Plough:

A type of one way plough that was also used for banking (or ridging) in Devon and Cornwall. Two mouldboards pivot at their front edge and are pegged at the back so that one or other is at an angle to the forward direction of the plough.

See https://www.reading.ac.uk/Instits/im/th ... oughs.html

From the size of the plough, it looks like an implement for market gardening use?

Post Reply