Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
James&Alice

Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by James&Alice »

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England in particular Newcastle to London connections

I am researching the above topic.

Please let me explain my current interest is focused on the occupation of these such family owned and run businesses: seeds men and nurserymen - a booming business at the time!

I am also exploring whether there was a business and social (so often linked at the time) connection between Newcastle upon Tyne (together with other northern expanding cities such as Leeds and Manchester) and London - and ultimately to four relevant and established families called Callender , Romaine Callender, Buttery and Hook - in the same 'world'.

The Buttery family, for example, were resident about south London and based around Hampton (Palace gardens and park). Hampton Wick (alongside the former place) and Bushy Park (adjacent to both, and became a Royal Residence too - of the future King William IV).

The Callenders (and Romaine Callenders) were resident in Newcastle UT and well established too. Also set up in Leeds and Manchester and possibly also London too.

In anticipation you may have a tip or two, my thanks!

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

James.

Dauber

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by Dauber »

Are you writing a book on this, James? Most interesting subject, I must say. I wish I could be of help, but that's something I don't know anything about.
Check out this expert Bluehost review and you'll be impressed.

neathouse

Re: Nurserymen & Seedsmen of c.1750 to 1850 England viz Newcastle to London connections

Post by neathouse »

three books which may help:
John Harvey, early nurserymen, 1974
John Harvey, Early Gardening catalogues,1972
John Harvey, Early Horticultural catalogues, [pamphlet, U. of Bath, 1973].

and

Ag Hist Rev, v38, pt II, 1990, Garden seeds in England before the late 18th century, II. the trade in seeds. Malcolm Thick. [should be viewable on this site].
There is also a ref. to Newcastle in Bradley
A correspondent wrote to Richard Bradley in September 1721 from Newcastle-upon –Tyne asking if he could obtain broccoli seed for him from an Italian gardener in London, or from one of the ‘Gentlemen, who have them every Year from Italy’. 20
Bradley, Richard, General Treatise of Husbandry and Gardening (London: J.Peele, 1721-4), pp.43, 283 [It is one of these pages I can’t remember which!]

Malcolm Thick

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

I presume from this that you have seen

Margaret Maddison, The Callenders, Eighteenth-Century Northern Nurserymen and Seedsmen, Garden History, Vol. 33, No. 2 (Autumn, 2005), pp. 210-224.

The records of Hewitt & Smith mentioned in the above are a unique set of London wholesale nurserymen's accounts : London Metropolitan Archives, B/HRS/1-2.

Although it deals with a slightly earlier period the following shows how London to provinces trade must have worked in 18C: http://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/18n2a4.pdf Tom Donnelly, Arthur Clephane, Edinburgh
Merchant and Seedsman, 1706-30.

Margaret Maddison
Last edited by Nutmeg on 09 Oct 2018, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

I presume from this enquiry that you are hoping to build on:
Margaret Maddison, The Callenders, Eighteenth-century Northern Nurserymen and Seeds Men , Garden History, Volume 33: 2 Winter 2005.

There are apparently few surviving detailed records of nurserymen and seedsmen of the 18C. Those of Hewitt & Smith of Brompton are referenced in the above. For slightly earlier info on how the London/provincial trade operated but which still applied in the later 18C, see the article on Arthur Clephane on this website http://bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/18n2a4.pdf

Another background source (Switzer was also a seedsman) is:
William Alvis Brogden, Stephen Switzer and Garden Design in Britain in the Early Eighteenth Century, PhD Thesis, University of Edinburgh, 1973.

For the later London trade see E.J. Willson, West London Nursery Gardens, Fulham & Hammersmith Historical Society, 1982.

There are no published studies of the Newcastle/London trade post 1800. The trade information in the article on the Callenders was principally based on examination of estate records and newspapers for lack of other sources.

James&Alice

Post by James&Alice »

Good evening,

Thank you all so far who have been able to give time up to reply and provide such helpful and encouraging responses, for which we are both mist grateful.

Apologies for the tardiness in my response, owing to my ineptitude in using the forum effectively. A most helpful person has assisted me in helping me overcome this self-imposed challenge (you know who you are, thanks again!).

We shall investigate the various helpful suggestions and once we have had time to do so, shall share further insights!

Best wishes,

James.

Rosegirl

Post by Rosegirl »

Hello all. I am new here but I am researching Michael Callender born Newcastle 5 September 1772 son of John Callender. He died at Gainford 22 August 1843 although the headstone looks more like 1845. How can I obtain a copy of Margaret's paper? The church at Gainford rediscovered a board stating Michael was giving coal to the poor of the village (I'll get a copy of his will) but we don't know much abouthim. Thank you

webweaver

Post by webweaver »

Hi Rosegirl
It looks as if you can read that article online for free. If you search for
'Margaret Maddison, The Callenders, Eighteenth-Century Northern Nurserymen and Seedsmen, Garden History, Vol. 33, No. 2'
and then go to the jstor link. You will have to register. Let me know how you get on.
WebWeaver

fifibell22

Post by fifibell22 »

A Dr. Gillian Hunt is researching Michael Callender of Newcastle who died at Gainford Co. Durham 1843.Her email address is bbeagle@btinternet.com
He lived in Gainford at Porch House which was on Church Row.I have his will and he is remembered for leaving the poor of Gainford £100.00 in coals and potatoes from the interest from this charity.There is a tale in the village that his great neice often used to find him in the stable at the back of his house lying asleep in a coffin that he had obtained.There is a plaque in the church St.Marys of his charity.

roseymitchell

Post by roseymitchell »

Hello to James&Alice
I am researching my family history and my 2x Great Grandfather was William Hook Callender Buttery born in the 1790's. I have records dating from his marriage in 1818 to Elizabeth Grosst but I have been unable to find his baptism record. In his father's (William Buttery) Will he is named as 'my illegitimate but adopted son'. On the census records it states that his birthplace was Hampton Wick.
I would be grateful for any information you can give me.
Many thanks
Rosey