Questionnaire on enclosure

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
rwhoyle

Questionnaire on enclosure

Post by rwhoyle »

Can anyone point me towards a copy of a questionnaire circulated by the Board of Agriculture in either December 1800 or January 1801 to the ministers of parishes enclosed since 1760, asking about the experience of their parishes since enclosure? I know it existed but cannot trace a copy.

It is just possible that it was circulated in the name of the Select Committee on the High Price of Provisions which was meeting in the session of Parliament prorogued on 31 December 1800.

Nutmeg

Re: Questionnaire on enclosure

Post by Nutmeg »

It might be worth knowing when searching that the questionnaire was sent as a 'circular letter' by Bishops to their clergy on behalf of the Committee (according to its First Report).

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

Dear Nutmeg,

Thanks for this, but I can't find the reference to which you allude. Could you give me chapter and verse please?

BW,

Richard

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Source is First Report as printed in:

Manchester Mercury 2/12/1800 p.2 column 3 paragraph 3

rwhoyle

Post by rwhoyle »

Ah, I see what you mean. General point taken, but the few dated extracts from the returns which I have suggest that the questionnaire was circulated in December or early January. Anyhow, many thanks, but the initial question remains: anyone know where a copy of the questionnaire can be found.

oldandpeculiar

Post by oldandpeculiar »

in case it is of interest re enclosures, there is a very good book 'the village labourer 1760 - 1830 a study in the goverment of england before the reform bill' by J.L. Hammond and Barbara Hammond. longmans 1927. it has some in depth views on the problems created by enclosure and how this affected the country long term and in particular the direction of agricultural labour. opened my eyes to how enclosure changed the country.