Bull Breed - Corvo, Azores

Ask a question about agricultural history or the history of rural economy and society
MCM.2021

Bull Breed - Corvo, Azores

Post by MCM.2021 »

Hello,
I am writing on behalf of the Carlos Machado Museum, located on the Azorean Island of São Miguel, off the coast of Portugal. We are interested in learning more about a bull breed that is recorded to have been offered as a gift by the King of Portugal, D. Pedro V, to Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, in 1857. There is a reference to this offering in the Illustrated London News, dated of May 23rd of 1857, edition 860, pages 493-494.
It is said that this breed was common on the island of Corvo, also in the Azores. We would like to know if there is any other information on this subject or whether this species is still available to your knowledge, so it can be reintroduced on the island.
Thank you for your attention and consideration.
Best regards,
Sara Maio

webweaver

Re: Bull Breed - Corvo, Azores

Post by webweaver »

Hi Sara
Could you say what the name of the breed was? That might give more of a clue!
Catherine

Alan Wadsworth

Post by Alan Wadsworth »

The problem is that the article in the Illustrated London News does not give the name of the breed, only a description - they are described as diminutive, standing barely 40” high, dun colour, resembling the Alderney/Jersey breed but around half their size. They were delivered to Prince Albert’s model farm at Frogmore. The present was a bull, two heifers and a bull calf.

webweaver

Post by webweaver »

Ah, I see, Alan. Thanks for, er, clarifying that!
C.

MCM.2021

Post by MCM.2021 »

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in this matter. The fact is that the only information I have right now is what I have shared in my previous post. I know it´s not much, but if there is any other detail that could be added, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you again for your attention.
Best Regards, Sara

MCM.2021

Post by MCM.2021 »

Hello again,

Here is the transcript of the published news, as mentioned before:
"PRESENT FROM THE KING OF PORTUGAL TO THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND – His Majesty the King of Portugal has just sent over to this country a present of cattle of a very peculiar breed to her Majesty Queen Victoria, consisting of a bull, two heifers, and a bull calf. The animals, which are of the most perfect symmetry, and very diminutive, standing scarcely forty inches high, are of a dun colour, and in fine condition. The cows are vey docile, but the bull, on being driven from the station to Prince Albert’s Model Farm, Frogmore, where they are now installed, exhibited a disposition rather the reverse of that of his companions, by tossing an unfortunate donkey, about his own size, which happened to come in his way. These lilliputian animals very much resemble the Alderney or Jersey breed, but appear to be scarcely more than half the size."

Best regards, Sara